The abolition of slavery in 1834 afforded the opportunity for ex-slaves to attend schools to be
educated. The Church of England, the Roman Catholic Church and the Mico charity were the
providers of education. Dr. Eric William stated that at the end of 1880 there were a total of 96
schools operating in Trinidad –3 secondary, 2 normal model schools, 52 government primary
school and 39 assisted primary schools. There were 332 students in the secondary schools- 80 at the Queen’s Royal Collegiate (QRC), 142 at the College of the Immaculate Conception (CIC)
and 110 at St. Joseph’s Convent. By 1949 Governor Lord Harris established the secular or non-
religious government schools called the ward schools where emphasis was placed in reading,
writing and arithmetic. The established schools at that time, especially the denominational
schools, catered for the educational needs of the off springs of the planters. Those planters, who could have afforded it, sent their children back to the metro poles to be educated.
——— Read Full Text Below ———